Sunday, June 24, 2012

Menopur Mishap

Well, I am sure others have had mishaps....mine appeared on day 4!
Went to mix my first vial of menopur with the liquid dilutant with my q cap and sadly had some spill out ...CRAP.
What to do so, I just stopped and did my Lupron. Back to the missing menopur. Called my girlfriend/IVF expert/nurse...she didn't answer. Called CCRM emergency line (missing drugs sounds emergent to me). Person answering the line said to call back in 5 mins when the office opens. HUH? Then she checked herself and said let me see if I can get someone. Finally, "Molly" answers and after some back and forth with the nurse said if it wasn't more than half that was lost to use it. Hmmm. What if IVF failed I would always wonder if it was because I missing medicine. Still standing at the kitchen counter staring at my 2nd vial and syringe filled with "some menopur" I mixed and just stared at the final amount of the liquid in the syringe. I could feel the anxiety in my body and tightness in my chest.
Girlfriend called me back and said if I was going to worry to just start over....glad she knows me! Said she lost a whole vial once. Enough said....started over. Mixing went better this time and injection done. As I pushed the medicine into my belly, it was difficult as usual, so I pushed a bit harder....the rest went in quickly and I heard a "squirt" sound INSIDE my belly. Oh goodness this process is going to be long. At least 8 more days of this process.
Pissed at myself as I am now a day short but will just order more. Can't worry about it right? Good thing insurance covers those suckers....for some it's liquid gold.
At least I know all the menopur is running to my ovaries.
Breathe.

4 comments:

  1. No need to worry now if you can order more. Sorry you had such a rough morning!

    All is well and your ovaries are soaking it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had these mishaps too, or mixed a couple vials of menopur and somehow didn't get it all out. The thing is, the amount they prescribe to all is really all just an educated guess, so my thinking is, if you get a little more or less in there, it's probably not a big deal in the end as it evens out over days. Hopefully you'll just stim one less day than you thought and won't even need to order that extra vial of Menopur. When's your next U/S?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my hope Beans!! Luckily, my friend just gave me 2 vials that hadn't expired yet....so maybe I won't have to order any!! Wednesday the 27th is the first u/s since stims. Starting to feel "twingie"

    ReplyDelete