One would think that being a vegetarian would already make a person "healthy" but it's not the case. I have always struggled with my weight and familial high cholesterol. Over the past 18 months, I have started to make changes with my eating that have already started to impact my health.
After a physical in March, I learned that my overall cholesterol had dropped over 40 points and back in normal range. Hmmm, how did that happen since I had added red meat back in my diet??? Breakfast had consisted of oatmeal, flax seeds and goji berries (and recently added chia seeds). Perhaps this had done the trick.
In an attempt to add more iron into my diet (as per the suggestion of my acupuncturist, Cricket), I had added Kale, black strap molasses and adzuki beans. All high in iron with the thought that I needed more iron due to my repeat losses. Every meal was planned with making my body a healthier vessel for a baby. This can be challenging as you go out with friends or don't feel like cooking.
I was reading labels more often and attempting to stop eating anything with high fructose corn syrup. As a vegetarian for over 20 years, I would normally eat soy products such as tofu for a protein. Research shows a correlation of soy's effects on ones estrogen levels, so I made a concerted effort not to eat items like edamame and tofu products. Really.Hard.
I even switched my half calf coffee in the morning to completely decaf (and then water processed decaf coffee). Don't get me wrong these small changes were easily implemented but didn't stop me from consuming a bag of Cheetos on those dark days after a loss. Between the hormonal changes from 3 pregnancies and depression, my weight continued to rise.
Weight is always a tabu topic especially for women. As I made the decision to move to IVF, (which I orginally said I wouldn't do), I also made the decision that I had to do something with my weight. On a frame of 5'1, a couple of pounds makes a huge difference on my hips...and well other areas! I figured I could make some big changes that will allow me to lose weight over the next few weeks before I start injections (which have a side effect of weight gain).
April Fools Day was the day I decided to stop drinking and cut out sugar. No joke. I love chocolate and a piece of dark chocolate at work was a treat for me but that always turned into a few pieces too many. One week later I can report, I have been chocolate free (oops I guess that chocolate macaroon for Passover was a no-no) mostly all week. I started cooking again and made some delicious omlettes and kale. This weekend, I took a 3 mile walk around the gorgeous harbor and cooked healthy egg muffins for work this week. I started tracking my calories on an iPad app and will attempt to walk to work on most days next week. I don't even miss alcohol. Next week might be a different story!
I recognize that all these things are "baby" steps...yeah baby steps to make my body a healthier environment for my baby. Any change I can do now will impact my baby. Power of positive thinking that there will be a baby in there soon.
I am being gentle with myself and won't beat myself up if I eat something not so healthy or have a drink after my one day work up in Denver. I am proud of myself for these "baby" steps that get me one step closer to my baby.
I am so proud of you, every day, for being gentle with yourself and for treating your body as the temple and the home that it will be for your baby.
ReplyDeleteLYB!