Friday, April 6, 2012

Great Enveloping

Do you believe things happen for a reason?? I wasn't always convinced but my experience with acupuncture has definitely changed my mind.

November 2010, my boss and I were traveling to Denver for a work conference about 2 weeks prior to my first IUI. On the flight, I ended up sitting next to a woman who was heading home to visit her family. She had just had a baby (6 months prior) and was still breastfeeding. At one point during the flight she got up to use restroom but was quickly asked to return to her seat due to turbulence. She was trying to pump her breast milk and of course, I could've cared less if she did this at her seat. We started talking casually and she beemed with love about her recent birth. For some reason, I told this complete stranger, I was attempting to become pregnant. She shared that she was a acupuncture practitioner and we talked about my past experience with acupuncture (which was positive). Before we landed, she gave me her name and number to contact her in the future if needed which I casually wrote on a SW ticket jacket and shoved in my bag.

Fast forward February 2011, 2 IUIs and a 10 week miscarriage, I found myself teary eyed contacting that sweet woman I meant on the plane. Appointment schedule with Cricket.

It's been over a year that I have been traveling twice a month (sometimes weekly) to Cricket's home for treatments. Building blood. Energy. Kidney Qi. Spleen. Moxa. Fire. All these new words and concepts that became a new kind of therapy for me. Not only was I trying to have a baby but I was working on creating the most nourishing environment for my baby. I started eating meat again (remember its been 20 years) to work on building blood. I added Kale and adzuki beans to my diet regularly and massaged a point on my ankles that was a strong fertility point (when not pregnant). A long stressful day at work or a feeling of despair was replaced with warmth, energy and calmness.

Each session is a reminder of the end goal and I have opened my mind to that it's not all about science and recognized the importance of the mind/body connection. I must admit there have been a few sessions of cursing or tears from painful (or awkward) points. I told Cricket tonight I can't imagine not coming for treatment. I am fascinated by each point, what it means, it's correlation to a body part such as kidney or spleen and the concept behind each one. Is it ironic that my Kokopelli tattoo is strategically placed (withought knowing) where the kidney and spleen meet (both important to ferility!). I am always asking her to explain each new point (tonight was the first night in a while I had done so). She has been through each pregnancy, miscarriage and witnessed elation and deep despair. Each step of the way guiding me and lifting my spirit.

So, as I travel back to Denver in a little over a week, I will be thinking of that plane ride 18 months ago and how it was meant to be that she sat between my boss and I on that plane.

As I drift off to sleep with a renewed sense of self and determination (and the smell of sweet moxa) that I will be a mom, I realize that my village is already starting to expand. I am so honored to have Cricket as part of my village and be enveloped by her support and wisdom.

2 comments:

  1. cool story! My friend used to say, things always happen in "bookends." Denver is your bookend. At least I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post so much. You were so excited the other day, coming home from your session, and to read this I can understand why, as you were putting all these words and thoughts together for your blog.

    And Beans, I LOVE the Bookends analogy! I have experienced that too, and will continue to remember that...

    Follow your heart, Curly Betty, and those random conversations with strangers that become your Village People!

    ReplyDelete