Thursday, October 4, 2012

180 beats per minute

Yesterday, I had my 8 week ultrasound and first OB visit. BB was still in there with a strong heartbeat at 180 bpm. No picture but I could see the flicker and hear that sweet sound that is stuck in my brain. Measuring 8w6d and I was 8w3d yesterday so growing like a champ!!

My estrogen levels also jumped from last week. Over 1100 from 636 just a week before. My meds weren't changed so this allows us to assume the placenta has started to take over. Progesterone also jumped from 16 to 26. Again, probably because of placenta doing its thing. CCRM decided to start the weaning process, so I bumped my estrogen patches to 3 every other day and progesterone pills only twice a day. Definitely makes me nervous to think, I am starting to rely on my body to support my pregnancy.

Also, had my first OB appointment with Dr. A. Just love him and know I am in good hands when he takes over my care. He was training with two medical students so they joined the conversation (with my approval) Dr. A was so complimentary of the process that I have been through and becoming a single mom. I knew it but it certainly was nice to hear ones OB was supportive of your choices. Had a full history assessment with him and discussed some high risk red flags. Just being 41, puts me at high risk for preterm labor. Can't really change that now can I?? My uterine septum and it's removal puts me at high risk for incompetent cervix, which I knew. IVF also apparently puts me at high risk for PTL. Lots of monitoring will occur including cervical checks starting at 16 weeks and many more ultrasounds. Fine with me. Luckily, I can walk to the center for advanced fetal medicine from work.

He talked about communication and asked if I liked being able to email him questions. Uh, Hell yes!! He agreed he felt it was a good way to communicate with his patients. Since he is the head of OB/GYN and the center, he doesn't have that many personal patients. I am honored to be one of them. Lots of education from how to wear my seat belt to constipation!! Then onto the physical which was also completed in the presence of the 3rd year medical student. Guess I can say I helped shape a future doc. Had everything down twice from ear/eye check to breast and pelvic exam. Fun times. Did learn I have a small pelvic bone which means I might have trouble pushing that big headed BB out. Will deal with that when necessary.

All good and now I just need to go and get blood work to check a bunch if things including thyroid
and for toxioplamosis (which I have been tested for but over 2 years ago)

It was a good, informative day. Spent the rest of the day with my nephew celebrating "Forever Family Day". The day he joined our family at the age of 2 weeks. His 4 year old humor and funny faces just put icing on an already fabulous day.

More blood work in a week and NT scan end of October. Although Dr. A said if I want a quick scan check in a few weeks, just email him. Ahhhh.

2 comments:

  1. Great news! Sounds like everything is going as it should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!!! So happy to read this! :)

    ReplyDelete