Sunday, February 17, 2013

28 weeks...Third trimester!

What a bittersweet day. I woke up after a pretty good evening of sleep (considering my norm) as I had been actually sleeping in my bed since about 3 am. I laid in bed talking to Baby Olive and thanking her for hanging in there. Telling her I couldn't believe we had hit this major milestone of the  3rd trimester.

(Love that she is kicking and flipping as I type this post)

After my weekly belly photo and breakfast, I spoke to my mom to see how she was feeling since she had norovirus all last week. She was sad and weepy. My grandma, Charlie, who had been struggling all week to fight off some infection was not doing well. Not eating. Not drinking. Sleeping a lot. At 99, these were not good signs. The family had some tough decisions to make. It made me sad to think that I was supposed to be celebrating my 3rd trimester with her today. We changed plans as my mom was sick.

The thought of my grandmother not being around is devastating let alone not meeting my sweet baby. She was SO excited that I was pregnant (not once asking about how or who the father was). It didn't really matter to her. Before she moved to Philly in January, we would sit around her apartment and think of baby names. She loved Katie (apparently there is some old song about "Katie"). She loved her nickname was Olive (as this was the name of her one of her CNAs)

My hope is that Baby Olive does get to meet such an amazing woman. I hope that she has her spirit. Her love for family and neighbors. Her positive outlook on life which is what I think has gotten her to 99. Her ability to bake. Her love for angels.

So for now, I can only attempt to continue to have hope that this amazing matriarch will continue to fight. Will continue to get better and make it way past May. To not only hold my sweet baby but to pass on that amazing spirit.

My heart is full of love for Baby Olive and full of sadness for what may come to be. Is there even enough room for both?? I tried to do some happy things today. I didn't want baby Olive to feel my sadness or my tears.

12 weeks. 12 weeks still to find a new place, rent mine and move. Lots to do and hopefully distract me. At my last appt at 27 weeks, she was doing well. Cervix was closed. My blood work looked great and I tested negative for gestational diabetes. I go back on March 6th and hopefully will have a consult with the midwife group to determine feasibility of vaginal delivery. She will get weighed again at this appt.

For now, I enjoy the flips, flops and turns that I feel while counting kick counts daily.

Love you Charlie. Love you Baby Olive.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the third trimester! Sorry to hear about your grandmother--I totally get it, since I just went through that myself (although seems like you're much closer to your GM). Seems like she has lived a beautiful and long life, though...good genes to pass on to Olive....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only song I know from the past about a Katie is from around WWII I think.

    K K K Katie!
    You wonderful Lady!
    You're the only g g g girl that I adore!!!!
    And when the m m m moon shines,
    Over the mountains!
    I'll be waiting at the k k k kitchen door!

    so excited for you! Sending speeding recovery wishes to your grandmama
    phlocks

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the SAME song that Grandma Charlie sang to us a few months ago! She loves it! :)

    Baby Olive will know Grandma Charlie and all of her amazing qualities...as they live on in her Mama too.

    I love you!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete