Sunday I turned 18 weeks and took my weekly photo of my growing belly (will have to post eventually)
I was busy this weekend but not anything too strenuous. Hanukkah at my parents and celebrating my 99 year old grandmothers Bday. Sunday I just didn't feel right. I was having a lot of abdominal pressure/aches and was generally uncomfortable. No bleeding just wasn't right. I emailed my OB as usual but didn't hear from him.
By Monday morning I was concerned as the pain was worse and kept me up most of the night. My OB had responded @ 5 am to let him know if it got worse. I delayed going into work but responded to OB and said I wanted to be seen. I didn't feel comfortable waiting till Thursday. He was off but got me seen by another OB.
1pm: seen at the center for advanced fetal medicine. Baby was fine with strong HB of 150. And cervix looked closed but had shortened in length to 25 mm (think it was 26 2 weeks ago) . To be cautious she sent s to L and D
3 pm I arrived at L and registration. This took 5 mins but I had to wait an hour to be moved to triage. The woman waiting to be taken back when I arrived had delivered and I was still sitting there waiting.
4 pm I am taken back to triage by "M" the most unenthusiastic nurse ever. Flat!! I was left for about 20 mins in a gown. No update. Keep in mind I hadn't eaten since 11 or had water. Over the next 3 hours the nurse and midwife wools come in and out. No major updates or plans. I was put on a monitor to check for contractions. This would've been ok if I would've been given an alert button AND water. Finally after ask the nurse twice for water she brought me some. I asked about food. I will look. Ummm....never got anything.
I did finally get informed that I wasn't having contractions. After an internal exam and some Gyn testing I was discharged and told to follow up with my OB. Nurse midwife who was actually pleasant said it could be just uterine growth.
730 pm discharged and finally got to stop listening to the poor woman vomitting for the past three hours in the adjacent room.
By the time I got home, my OB had emailed me to check on me, looked at all my results and felt that my issue could be from my fibroid. It has doubled in size from the time I got pregnant. He put me back on progesteone and prescribed an NSAID that helps with fibroid pain. Told me to take 800 mg of Motrin for tonight. After some food and more water, I was off to bed. Besides peeing three times, I slept we'll and the discomfort was lessened. My OB has continued to check in on me daily via email and is hoping this will do the trick.
It was definitely a scary experience being at Mercy alone (and my cell phone died half way through). It made me thankful for an OB that doesn't belittle my concerns as well as picking the doula that I did. E actually appeared with a patient as I was in registration and saw me waiting. Asked if I was ok and sent me an email later that night to see how things were going. Yup. Right choice.
So, it was an eventful 18th week. Hoping things calm down and he hopes to keep me on meds for a week. Back to follow up on Thursday for cervical check and HB check. And genetic counselor appt that I had forgotten about.
At first I felt silly but I am SO glad I listened to my motherly instincts and just went to be checked.
Lets hope 19 is less stressful.
Love you Olive!!
You definitely did the right thing by following up with your OB. I felt a little silly by the end when I had 4 trips to L and D for unexplained contractions/tightening, but I would much rather feel silly than have something go wrong! Plus it helps you figure out what you need to be prepared for when you go in to deliver! One thing I started doing was to always carry a charging cord with me :)
ReplyDeleteI was in L&D last weekend too and felt totally silly at first for going but after felt so much better. Way better to be safe than sorry and I'm sure they are used to it. Hoping for a less eventful week 19 for you.
ReplyDelete